Why crunches don't work.

Why Crunches Don’t Work for Getting Ripped Abs

In Burn Fat by Bobby MarandinoLeave a Comment

Crunches are a mistake.

Almost every time I go to my local gym I can’t help but notice people spending a good 10 minutes doing crunches. I can’t help but feel bad for them falling into a common mistake beginners tend to make.

I want to clear the air up on crunches and explain why crunches don’t work when it comes to getting 6 pack abs. I don’t want you or anyone else that reads this to fall into one of the most common misconceptions when it comes to getting abs.

The way I think of it is, let’s say you do crunches for 10 minutes 3 times a week for an entire year. That is 30 minutes a week times 52 which equals a whopping 21 hours of your life you spend on an exercise that won’t give you results.

Wouldn’t you rather spend those 21 hours doing an exercise that actually shows results?

A lot of people probably think I am crazy for saying crunches suck. After all, if you use your common sense, you’d come to the conclusion that crunches will help you get ripped abs. Unfortunately, this is where common sense deceives you.

If you don’t believe me, I encourage you to try doing 3 sets of 100 crunches a day for 3 months and see if you’ve gotten that 6 pack.

The 5 Reasons Why Crunches Don’t Work

There are many reasons why crunches don’t work, but I am going to go over the 5 main reasons why crunches don’t work and are a waste of your time.

  1.  Nutrition is Key – Most people don’t know it, but ab exercises are only about 20% of the equation for getting perfect abs. The other 80% is nutrition. That is why a proper low calorie diet is essential to get 6 pack abs. You want a diet high in protein with moderate healthy fats and low carbs to get 6 pack abs.
  2. Body Fat Percentage is Everything – To be able to see your abs you need to have a low body fat percentage. Crunches are not effective in burning off calories. Your best bet to burn off those unwanted calories on your stomach is to do cardio. I recommend doing around 20 minutes of high intensity cardio each time you go to the gym.
  3. You Can’t Target Fat – There is no way you can simply just target you stomach fat and burn that off first. Your body chooses which area the fat gets burned from. Your body typically burns fat at an even rate throughout your entire body.
  4. Crunches Make You Fat – Doing crunches actually do more harm then good. That’s because when you do crunches you bulk up your abdominal muscles and they look puffed out. When you have body fat covering up your abs it gives the perception of you having a big gut. Crunches also do not target your complete core, so you’ll have disproportionate abs too.
  5. Experts Don’t Do Them – Go up to expert level bodybuilders or athletes and ask them their thoughts about crunches. I guarantee you the general consensus is that crunches don’t to jack.

Final Thoughts

Now that we’ve discussed why crunches don’t work, it’s time you focus your effort on something that does work. You should be coming up with a diet plan and doing other exercises that show results.

How long have you been doing crunches before realizing they didn’t work?

About the Author

Bobby Marandino

Facebook Twitter Google+

The founder of Limitlessly Fit, Bobby started Limitlessly Fit to share his lifelong passion of fitness to help guys build lean and ripped physiques. Bobby is well educated in many fields, holding a Bachelors degree, two Masters degrees, and several certifications. He also has over 10 years of experience and university-based education in fitness and nutrition.

Enter Your Email and Stay Up to Date

Get access to exclusive content, contests, and updates from Limitlessly Fit delivered right to your inbox + a FREE eBook!